They say nothing is truly new anymore; only new improvements made on old ideas & technology.
And they have a point.
At the end of the day, what is a DM? It’s just the modern-day way of sending a message in a bottle with much more precision and less friction. The purpose and outcome is the same: Communicating to a loved one, friend, family, co-worker and ask the ever important question: “Sup?"
And aren't cave drawings the original #TBT?
The same can be said about Customer-Generated Content (CGC). It’s a concept as old as time: Word of Mouth (WOM) marketing.
Everyone (and we mean everyone. Seriously it just keeps going) agrees that word of mouth marketing is the best way to generate business. No matter how many ad buys or how much a brand pays Peyton Manning, nothing generates business more effectively than a trusted source saying, “Have you tried Epic Burger? It’s delicious."
And that’s what CGC is. A referral from a trusted source.
But much like the DM there are immense, game-changing improvements: Instead of telling to one person at a time that “Epic Burger is delicious”, your customers are broadcasting to hundreds or thousands of people at once.
- It is accompanied by a photo or video, which presents your product or service in a more impactful way
- There is a conversation thread which allows others to add their thoughts and/or ask questions
- The business can join in on the conversation
- It is easier for your customers to share this post to their own following.
- It is trackable, so you as the business can know who created the CGC
But don’t just take our word for it, look at some comparisons below: