Patients of all ages experience stress and anxiety about receiving vaccinations. Their needle anxiety can culminate into vaccination hesitancy or even an Immunization Stress-Related Response (ISSR).
Research has shown that stress can negatively impact the immune system’s response to a vaccine. Making your immunization center as stress-free as possible can help patients relax before and during their appointment—leaving them better prepared to reap the benefits of their vaccinations. That way, they’re more inclined to return for their next dose.
Important considerations for eliminating stress in vaccination centers
Keeping stacks of pop-culture magazines on your waiting room tables while the local news channel plays won’t create the stress-free immunization center that today’s patients need.
Digital technology solutions are making stress-free patient experiences more accessible and simple to create. With UPshow Health, you can transform your waiting room into a stress-free space for patients to prioritize their health.
Crafting a calming environment
When patients enter your immunization center, they may feel on edge for any number of reasons–fear of needles, anxiety about potential side effects from a vaccine and more.
Research shows that playing certain forms of media in your clinic, such as nature sounds and classical music, can reduce stress and positively impact the patient-provider experience. UPshow Health can power your screens with stress-reducing content to help quell patient anxiety.
To get started, here are some of the most effective ways to make your immunization clinic a more tranquil and inviting space for patients:
- With Canva integration, you can display mindfulness tips or breathing exercises.
- Display calming nature scapes, like forests and beach scenes.
- Play distracting and calming entertainment, such as cooking or gardening shows.
- Use UPshow Premium Audio to play stress-reducing music or nature sounds.
Entertainment that eliminates nerves and makes waiting less painful
Unlike other medical specialties, your immunization center likely sees patients from all age groups. Choosing the right entertainment that will please everyone may seem difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. UPshow Health comes with over 500 entertainment channels to choose from, including hyperlocal channels and sports.
For your immunization clinic, you can choose from curated entertainment channel packs focused on health and wellness themes, or a range of other entertainment options. Giving your patients access to on-demand entertainment options can help them pass the time and reduce stress at the same time.
Although studies show that the length of time patients spend in the waiting room is a strong predictor of patient dissatisfaction, you can improve their waiting room experience (and perceived wait time) with UPshow Health by:
- Posting updated wait times.
- Sharing interactive trivia games to pass the time.
- Displaying mindfulness tips and other content to help nervous patients manage stress.
Keep patients in the know
Medical misinformation is a growing problem, and today’s patients may not know which information to trust. Patients may not have access to credible resources to help them understand the importance of vaccinations or how to handle side effects from their immunizations.
You can use UPshow Health to give them access to patient-friendly educational resources and help patients gain more control over their health journeys. Studies reveal that patient education is an acknowledged predictor of high patient engagement and positive treatment outcomes. To give your patients the best chance at experiencing those same benefits, take full advantage of what UPshow has to offer by:
- Creating customized patient education content playlists that you can schedule in advance.
- Explain the immunization process, including potential side effects, to calm stress and anxiety.
- Link patients to valuable resources such as your patient portal or social media via the QR-code campaign creator.
- Spotlight new clinical staff or operating hours, so patients can plan and feel comfortable with a new staff member.
Staff support is critical in any successful clinic
Healthcare clinics like yours can’t function well without engaged clinical staff. Recent studies reveal a positive correlation between staff engagement and patient safety. Utilizing UPshow SHIFT to improve employee communication and make continuing education opportunities accessible will keep your immunization center running smoothly and efficiently.
Make training and staff education easy
As the COVID pandemic unfolded, government guidance and regulations governing protocols were continuously changing as medical researchers and scientists learned more about how it was spreading and how best to treat patients. This moment revealed the importance of continued training and education in all fields of medicine.
To keep your clinical staff up to date about the latest guidance, research and training opportunities, UPshow SHIFT makes it possible to display live updates and other critical announcements on your clinic screens.
If your staff work in shifts, you can utilize the fixed panel and multipanel displays to leave vital information on the screens at all times while also rotating out content to ensure all staff, regardless of their shift, stays in the loop.
Combat workplace stress with digital content
Whether you operate a 24-hour immunization center in a major city or a small clinic with limited hours in a small town, your healthcare staff experiences occupational stress. They may carry extra shift duties due to staff shortages, handle difficult patients or internal communication barriers on any given shift.
Research tells us that workplace stress can negatively affect your healthcare staff’s mental and physical well-being and quality of life, but the negative impact doesn’t end there.
Another study reveals that in addition to staff facing patient-related trauma and an increased risk of suicide, their occupational stress adversely affects their patients by inhibiting the quality of care they can perform.
To fight occupational stress, you can use UPshow SHIFT to create content geared toward staff-tailored interventions customized for their unique needs. UPshow’s in-app Canva integration can make generating staff-tailored digital interventions easier.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the most effective strategies you can use to create displays that help staff members manage stress and increase resilience in your immunization center:
- Promote healthy stress-management techniques by creating content playlists customized for each shift.
- Display personal safety and self-care tips alongside other content with fixed panels and multi-panel displays.
- Encourage after-hour voluntary small group discussions to unwind and brainstorm ways to relieve stress.
- Feature on-screen announcements about mental health community support groups and resources.
- Inspire staff-wide collaboration and support by displaying QR codes that link to their health and wellness social media groups.
Create open lines of communication without overwhelming staff
Internal communication among your clinical staff should be as fluid as possible to avoid medical errors and to ensure that staff have the right information to treat patients effectively. UPshow SHIFT can make staff-to-staff and staff-to-patient communication smoother and simpler by:
- Allowing you to display patient feedback forms to show you value the patient experience.
- Displaying vaccination FAQs for patients so they don’t overwhelm staff with basic or common questions.
- Showing post-immunization educational videos about potential side effects to look out for and the procedure patients should follow if they encounter them.
- Encourage mobile communication and resource access by linking staff to announcements via the QR code Campaign Creator.
- Share links to wellness portals that are accessible on mobile devices via a QR code.
- Sharing SMART Goals to boost employee engagement and foster collaboration.
Build an efficient and stress-free vaccination center with UPshow
Making your immunization center as stress-free as possible will benefit your patients and clinical staff. With UPshow’s digital signage software solution, you can improve the patient experience one screen at a time.
Sign up for a free demo of UPshow and discover how easy it is to make your clinic stress-free.